> I created both the database and the user.  When I "use mail" and execute
> show tables I see none.

Check your spelling, etc.  If there are no tables then clearly James wasn't
able to access the database.  If you cannot figure it out, try the
following:

  <data-source name="maildb"
               class="org.apache.james.util.mordred.JdbcDataSource">
    <driver>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</driver>
    <dburl>jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/test?autoReconnect=true</dburl>
    <user></user>
    <password></password>
    <max>20</max>
  </data-source>

That is the standard configuration, except it is pointing at the test
database, which the mysql distribution sets up for unrestricted access to
all users.

        --- Noel