1) How stable is James? On a suitable server and under proper conditions,
does it crash once a week, month, or never?

I've been running my James install for about 5 months and I found it not running only one time. I don't know if it was James or badness on my server that caused it to die, but regardless, it's very stable.

2) How many messages can James handle before it experiences lag or buffer
overload?  Could it handle a T1 line with incoming messages?

Other users can answer this question better, my traffic load is only moderate.

3) Has anyone had any problem incorporating custom Mailets into the server
or experienced any unusual problem with database connections?

I haven't had to do it in awhile (I think the developers have been working on improving this), but there were some weird problems getting my custom mailets in at first.

I found that if you download the source distribution of James, then write and build (with the James build.xml) your mailets that they work without any troubles.

4) Its there a published list of corporate users that anyone knows about?

Someone else can better answer this.

5) Would you recommend James (version 2.1.3) as a production, scalable MTA?

Absolutely.

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com