Thanks for including me in the younger generation! (under 50) (笑)。 Just as you say, I think that I hear and use tabereru more than taberareru. I wouldn't use it in formal conversation or with someone much older than myself. But I might use taberemasu.
-----Original Message----- From: Misanthropos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [email protected] Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:54:12 +0200 Subject: Re: [Japanese_Language] -rareru form As I see, you have already guessed the answer. In this sentence, -rareru ending does not indicate passive voice, but the potential form of a verb of second type. As you must have heard, there are generally three kinds of verbs in Japanese: consonant stem verbs (called also verbs of first type (like kaku, warau, shinu etc.), vowel stem verbs (II type - for example: taberu, kimeru, iru etc.) and irregular verbs (suru and kuru, plus a few honorifics). The potential form of verbs, equivalent in most uses in meaning to the construction "V-ru koto ga dekiru" is built as follows: I type verbs - cut of last -u and add -eru. kaku -> kakeru - SOMEONE can write, SOMEONE is able to write kau -> kaeru - SOMEONE can buy, SOMEONE is able to buy yomu -> yomeru - SOMEONE can read, SOMEONE is able to read II type verbs - cut of last -ru and add -rareru taberu -> taberareru - SOMEONE can eat (sth), SOMEONE is able to eat kimeru -> kimerareru - SOMEONE can decide, SOMEONE is able to decide III type verbs - suru -> dekiru, kuru -> korareru. In case of your sentence, dekakerarenai is a potential form of the verb dekakeru: to go out, depart (dekakeru -> dekake + rareru = dekakerareru + nai -> dekakerarenai). The sentence can be translated as for example: ** Kyou ha ii tenki desu, shikashi watashi ha kaze wo hiiteiru node dekakerarenai. Today the weather is nice. Nevertheless, I have a cold, so I cannot go out. or Today the weather is nice, but I cannot go out because of having caught a cold. Finally, I should add that in modern Japanese people of younger generation (let's say under 50) often shorten potential forms of verbs of II and III category using the ending used typically only for I type verbs. Therefore, you can also often hear tabereru instead of taberareru, koreru instead of korareru and dekakereru instead of dekakerareru. Maciek 2007/5/8, randhir_nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: I came across the following sentence : kyou ha ii tenki desu, shikashi watashi ha kaze wo hiiteiru node dekake rarenai I wonder what the English translation of this would.I understand that the -rareru form is for passive voice.But there seems to be nothing 'passive' about this sentence. Was this a simple mistake(dekakerarenai instead of dekinai),or am i missing some other usage of -rareru form? Yahoo! Groups Links Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
