Hello!
I'll try to answer your first question, about the difference between
the pairs of sentences. Well, as far as I know, they are far from
being the same. Check out the translations of each of them I prepared:
1. Kyoko-san wa Yukikosan ni sashin o misemashita
-> Kyoko showed Yukiko a photo.
2. Kyoko-san wa Yukikosan ni sashin o misasemashita
-> Kyoko made/forced/allowed Yukiko (to) see the photo.
1. Kyokosan wa Yukikosan ni kimono o kisemashita.
-> Kyoko dressed Yukiko in kimono.
2. Kyokosan wa Yukikosan ni kimono o kisasemashita.
-> Kyoko made/allowed Yukiko (to) wear a kimono.
As you see, the two sentences have very little in common. Actually,
the verbs appearing in the first sentence of each pair, 'miseru' and
'kiseru', are not formed as mi(ru) + seru / ki(ru) + seru. It is very
probable that they originate from "miru" and "kiru", but they've been
used for so long that they acquired their own proper meaning. "Miseru"
means "to show" (and not to make sb see sth) and "kiseru" means "to
dress sb" (and not to make sb dress). The difference is slight, but
still significant.
On the other hand, "kisaseru" and "misaseru" are just verbs "miru" and
"kiru" with added causative ending "-(sa)seru". Therefore, while you
will surely find "miseru" and "kiseru" in any dictionary, you will
probably not find neither "kisaseru" nor "misaseru".
I hope this made things clearer.
Maciek
On 26/08/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi randhir_nag,
>
> Although I have been a long time member here but I seldom write here.
> So, I am trying to write one.
>
> About the first question, I think it is the same, maybe the others can
> explain better.
>
> Second question:
> 1. Thank you very much for showing me the photo.
> 2. Please don't make yukikosan sad.
>
> sabisigarasenai is made from sabisii (sad) + garaseru (make) + nai.
>
> garu is like naru but for adjectives (it happens without intervention).
> garaseru is like suru (~ni suru) (to make).
>
> randhir_nag wrote:
> >
> >
> > What is the difference in the following sentences?
> >
> > 1.kyoko-san wa yukikosan ni sashin o misemashita
> >
> > 2kyoko-san wa yukikosan ni sashin o misasemashita
> >
> > Another similar example(just in case)
> >
> > 1.kyokosan wa yukikosan ni kimono o kisemashita
> >
> > 2.kyokosan wa yukikosan ni kimono o kisasemashita
> >
> > I understand that both of them are some form of passive sentences
> > structures.Can someone explain in a bit more detail?
> >
> > Also,how would the following sentences translate into English:
> >
> > sashin o misete itadaite arigatou gozaimashita
> > yukikosan o sabishigarasenaide(a variation of the sabishigatte form?)
> > kudasai
> >
> > ariagtou gozaimasu
> >
> >
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/