Please excuse my ignorance here, but I can't seem to build Japhar from the
cvs source. I assume what's in the HACKING file is still valid:

-----

If you want to hack on japhar, it will make your life easier to have
the following packages installed:

        - GNU autoconf 2.13
        - GNU automake 1.4
        - GNU libtool 1.3.3

..

If you start from the current CVS version, you will have to run the
following from the toplevel directory and the libltdl/ and lib/libffi/
directories:

  aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf

and then run configure.  Any changes to the configure.in and
Makefile.am will thereafter tracked automatically by make.

----

I have the correct tools, but running aclocal at the toplevel gives me:

aclocal: configure.in: 329: macro `AM_DISABLE_SHARED' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 333: macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 431: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

There is no directory libltdl.

John