I don't think that can be done in an _expression_.

You don't say what type of field JOB_ID is, but one easy solution, if you can
a) make it that field some type of number
b) split it out into its own _expression_

would be to use a pattern on it of: #000000
That will left pad it with zeros to fill 6 spaces. Split that field out from the _expression_ and put the two fields next to each other to accomplish the same thing.

A more complicated solution would be to use a scriplet.

Oh, and one other solution would be to left pad it in your sql.

Brian N. Burridge
How to Call Oracle Stored Procedures from Jasper Reports
Review of JasperReports and OpenReport