Assuming your paths are correct, I think you have a problem with unix file
permissions.

You must ensure that user "nobody" (or whatever you have set you Apache user
to be) has access to:
1. read access to configuration files (jserv.conf, jserv.properties,
zonexxx.properties)
2. write access to log files
   a) the file in the ApJServLogFile directive in jserv.conf
   b) the file in the log.file directive in jserv.properties (if you have
      set log=true in that same file).

   Note that the default is for a) and b) above to point to the same file.
   But this does not need to be the case. For example, I set:
   log.file=jserv.detail.log

   Then I can look at the two sets of log messages independently.
   Note that I had to first create an empty jserv.detail.log (with the
   proper permissions as described above) or jserv would complain with
   file not found error.

Finally, Michael Kennedy replied couple of days ago that under blackdown,
the problem could be that you don't have the environment variable
NS_JAVA=true.  (Note that he also uses native threads, but I don't use
that).  I have never had this problem, but I thought you may want to know
just in case.

Good luck.
Jorge Bracer
Sausalito, CA