I actually did get mod_jserv to build over the weekend, but here's what
i had to do:

First, running configure and make did not create the proper makefile
(/usr/local/stronghold/src/modules/jserv/Makefile, or whatever) for
1.2.6.  I assume it should put a makefile there, but it didn't.

In addition, i did find the jserv_compat.c file this weekend (thanks for
the pointer though) and I put it into the proper directory myself.  i
also created this makefile, and just ran make in the src/modules/jserv
directory by hand, prior to running make in the main apache src
directory (I am not very good with makefiles, so I just hacked up the
one in src/modules/proxy, and hard-coded the specific options I needed
for my build.):

.SUFFIXES: .o .lo

ALLFLAGS=-Iregex -I/usr/local/stronghold/src
-I/usr/local/stronghold/ssl/includ\
e -O2 -DSOLARIS2 -DSTATUS -DSERVER_SUBVERSION=\"C2NetUS/2010\"
-DSTRONGHOLD

LIB=libjserv.a
MAKE=/www/local/bin/make
CC=gcc -c $(ALLFLAGS)

OBJS=mod_jserv.o \
        jserv_protocols.o jserv_status.o jserv_utils.o jserv_ajpv11.o \
        jserv_balance.o jserv_compat.o \
        jserv_wrapper.o jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_image.o

$(LIB): $(OBJS)
        rm -f $@
        ar cr $@ $(OBJS)
        ranlib $@

However, this still didn't get me all the way there.  Trying to build
Apache, I still got these errors:

ap_getword_conf_nc
./modules/jserv/libjserv.a(jserv_wrapper.o)
ap_palloc
./modules/jserv/libjserv.a(jserv_wrapper.o)

It appears jserv_compat.h was missing two #define lines.  I added these
two lines to jserv_compat.h:

#define ap_getword_conf_nc              getword_conf_nc
#define ap_palloc                       palloc

And I finally got an Apache binary which seems to work.  Whew!  Of
course, I have no idea if these #define's are correct... :-)  Someone
please tell me if I just built a time bomb.

Anyway, I hope this info is useful to someone else trying to install on
1.2.6, or to whomever works on the installer and
backwards-compatibility.

-Matt