I'm worried about synchronization problems
that may occur if a servlet modifies static
html pages.
I can handle the java-side without problems,
since the modifying servlet is restricted to
a single authorized user. The modified file,
however, may be served by apache to many
different users.

Now, what happens if the servlet tries to read
or write a file while it is served by
Apache? What happens if Apache tries to serve
a file while it is accessed by the servlet?

I hope, somebody can you give me a hint!

Do you think, it is a reasonable to put the
files in NFS mounted folders? (I found an NFS
client library for java at
http://members.tripod.com/~avdhome/rfsclient.html)

Or is there an easier solution? I confess,
that I don't understand well how apache's
file locking mechanism works - can you give
me a link to information on this subject?

Many thanks in advance for any contribution,

-hans

P.S.: I use Apache 1.3 / JServ 1.0 /
JDK 1.1.7 /Linux 2 (glibc)