As a newbie to Apache, Linux and JServ I experienced many of the
installation problems others have reported here. I now have Apache JServ
1.0b2 running in automatic mode with Apache 1.3.4 (no dso) on RH Linux 5.1
(Linux kernel 2.0.34)

Most of my setup came from Ari Halberstadt's notes and from scanning the
list archive.

One thing I overlooked (and I don't think I am alone) initially was that WE
HAVE SOURCE. I spent ages trying to figure out why my setups didn't work and
what did the error messages mean by adopting the standard windows
configuration method - 1 make a change. 2 Did that fix it? No return to 1. I
was in fact wondering "well what the f**k is really happening here?" when
the fact that I had downloaded source hit me like the proverbial bolt from
the blue. I found the code that was generating my error message, deduced
what the problem should most likely be and was up and running in 15 minutes.
Yesss the power! Oh sorry. Anyway, a couple of things:

Java seems to want execute permissions all the way down a directory tree to
the jserv.properties files. It cannot find the file unless it has these and
won't open the file if it can't find it. (I had checked permissions numerous
times as my jserv.log file was reporting that my configuration files
couldn't be found. Every time the file permissions were correct.)

FWIW here are my configuration files with a couple of notes:

from httpd.conf:

### JServ Directives
<IfModule mod_jserv.c>
    ApJServManual off
    ApJServLogFile    /usr/local/apache/logs/jserv.log
#    ApJServSecretKey  DISABLED
    ApJServSecretKey  /usr/local/apache/conf/etc/jserv.secret.key
    ApJServProperties  /usr/local/apache/conf/etc/jserv.properties
    ApJServDefaultPort 8007
    ApJservMount /servlets /servlets
    ApJservMount /menus /menus
#    ApJServMount /servlets ajpv11://localhost/root/servlets/  -- this
didn't work for me
#    ApJServMountCopy on     -- haven't investigated this yet.
    <Location /status/jserv>
       SetHandler jserv-status
       order deny,allow
       allow from localhost
    </Location>
</IfModule>

>From JServ.Properties:

port=8007

# wrapper.env.copyall=true  -- this didn't help me at all.
wrapper.env=NS_JAVA=N  -- I haven't tried turning this off
wrapper.bin=/usr/local/jdk/jdkcv/bin/java
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jserv/lib/Apache-JServ.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jsdk/lib/jsdk.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jdk/jdkcv/lib/classes.zip
# wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jdk/jdkcv/bin

zones=servlets
servlets.properties=/home/httpd/servlets/servlets.properties

security.remote.administration=true
security.allowedAddresses=127.0.0.1
security.authentication=true
security.secretKey=/usr/local/apache/conf/etc/jserv.secret.key
security.selfservlet=true

log=true
log.file=/usr/local/apache/logs/jserv.log
log.timestamp=true
log.dateFormat=[yyyMMdd HHmmss.SSS zz]
log.channel.init=true
log.channel.terminate=true
log.channel.serviceRequest=true
log.channel.authentication=true
log.channel.requestData=false
# log.channel.responseHeaders=false
log.channel.signal=true
log.channel.exceptionTracing=true
# log.channel.servletManager=true
# log.channel.singleThreadModel=true

from servlets.properties:

repositories=/home/httpd/servlets/
servlet.jserv.code=org.apache.jserv.JServ

Notes: I referenced my /servlets zone to the mount point /servlets. Neither
of these seems to have anything to do with the actual servlets directory
path which is reported only in servlets.properties.

My servlets directory has rx permissions for my apache group, none for
others
The files in my servlets directory has r permission for my apache group,
none for others

My configuration files have read permissions for my apache group, none for
others
as mentioned above my jserv.log file needs write permissions for my apache
group. it needed execute permissions (for my apache group - Not the Apache
Group - a group that the user that apache runs as belongs to) on all the
directories above it.

learn to use tail e.g. tail -n 30 jserv.log shows the last 30 entries made
by apache jserv. Works great on error_log too.

May the source be with you.

HTH