Hi:

JServ installation: Stronghold 2.4/Apache 1.30, JServ 1.0b2, Oracle 7 JDBC
Thin Drivers 7.3.4, JDK 1.1.7B, JSDK 2.0, DEC Unix 4.0D.

I have a developer who is having a problem using JNI with JServ.  From our
emails:

Developer
---------
I am still having trouble with JNI from a servlet. Here is what I found in
the FAQ - what do you think? It sounds like the servlet's directory must be
in the class path (/data/httpd/jserv/cicmenu).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why do I keep getting UnsatisfiedLinkError? (or) Why won't my servlets
using native code run?

Servlets using native libraries must be put in the classpath, otherwise you
will get a java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError because in JDK1.1 a class with
native methods can't be loaded by custom class loaders (servlet class
loader).
-----

My Response
-----------
I've added the following statement to the zone_main.properties file:

        wrapper.classpath=/data/httpd/jserv/cicmenu

See if this works.  The only problem I see here is that this puts the class
path into everyone's path.  If it works, then I may need to put each
project back into its own zone.  I had problems doing this before.
-----

Developer
---------
We are a little closer. It will now load the native library without
bombing, but I can't execute the native function - internal server error. I
am using the same techniques I used in the stand-alone Java application -
which works - but doesn't from a servlet.
-----

Any general suggestions about using JNI with JServ?  The developer is
calling a C library to do some security related stuff.

My concern here is that I had to add his class file to the class path.
This makes it available to anyone in the zone, right?  It looks like each
developer needs thier own zone.  What is everyone else doing to keep
projects separated on a system?  Another problem I ran into in setting
multiple zones was that after I setup more than 2 zones, JServ wouldn't
start up.

Thanks,

Brian S. Wallace

Oak Ridge National Laboratory