After searching the archives and reading the FAQOMATIC, I'm stuck with
what seems a relatively simple problem.

I'm using directory based authentication, via .htaccess, to protect some
dirs.  Some the these dirs have forms which hit servlets. The html forms
are properly secured, and the access log (http) properly records that the
'Remote User' has requested the document.

I have a quick hack where I extract the Authorization _header_ and
get the username, or Remote User, in a servlet. BUT, this username does
not appear in the access-log entry for the requested servlet, nor does the
standard get user method work in the servlet.

Yes, I'm aware that I can use the Location tag in the httpd.conf file, but
I don't want to modify it since I have a hundred developers, who would
then ask for their own customizations to the httpd.conf.

thanks
prp