download the apache_1.3.6.tar.gz file
        From: ftp.win.or.jp/pub/network/www/apache/dist
decompress and de-archive it.
cd apache_1.3.6
./configure
make
make install
cd /usr/local/apache/conf
edit httpd.conf
        modify: ServerRoot /usr/local/apache (This was pre-set)
        modify: DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs (This was pre-set)
        modify: ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
save httpd.conf
Edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
        place a # on the front of the line "daemon httpd"
Append to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
html files go in /usr/local/apache/htdocs

Installing JDK 1.1.7
cd /usr/local
ftp xfer.nitric.com
cd pub/java-linux/JDK-1.1.7/i386/glibc/v1a
get jdk_1.1.7-v1a-glibc-x86.tar.gz
tar zxvf jdk_1.1.7-v1a-glibc-x86.tar.gz

Dont forget to put path to it in .bashrc:
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/jdk117_v1a/bin

Installing JSDK 2.0

Use lynx to doanlead the servlet dev kit.
http://www.javasoft.com/cgi-bin/download2.cgi
Naviagte to it and download it.

tar xvf jsdk20-solaris2-sparc.tar
rm jsdk20-solaris2-sparc.tar

Setting up Apache Jserv

Must have apache in source form (See above)

login as root
cd /usr/local
lynx http://java.apache.org/jserv/dist/
retrieve Apache-JServ-1.0b3.tar.gz
tar zxvf Apache-JServ-1.0b3.tar.gz

set environment variables:
        JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk117_v1a
        JSDK_HOME=/usr/local/JSDK2.0
        CLASSPATH=$JAVA_HOME/lib/classes.zip:$JSDK_HOME/lib/jsdk.jar
        PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JSDK_HOME/bin:$PATH
        export PATH JAVA_HOME JSDK_HOME CLASSPATH

cd /usr/local/Apache-JServ-1.0b3
./configure
Answer y to installing jserv in apache directory
make
make install
cp /usr/local/Apache-JServ-1.0b3/src/c/*
/usr/local/apache_1.3.6/src/modules/extra
cd /usr/local/apache_1.3.6
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
--add-module=src/modules/extra/mod_jserv.c --enable-shared=jserv
--enable-module=jserv
make
make install
edit /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
        Add: LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so
        append the file /usr/local/Apache-JServ-1.0b3/conf/httpd.conf.in to it
        Modify: ApJservProperties
/usr/local/Apache-JServ-1.0b3/conf/jserv.properties
cd /usr/local/Apache-Jserv-1.0b3/conf
edit jserv.properties
        modify:
root.properties=/usr/local/Apache-Jserv-1.0b3/conf/zone.properties
        modify: log.file=/usr/local/apache/logs/jserv.log
copy zone.properties.in zone.properties
edit zone.properties:
        Add path to servlets directory on repositories line
        Can have multiple servlets on multiple repositories lines
        I added repositories=/usr/local/apache/servlets
Then:
mkdir /usr/local/apache/servlets
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/apache/servlets
Place the TestServlet.class in this directory.
chgrp nobody /usr/local/apache/logs
reboot the machine

Should be able to access servlet at
http://neil86.august.net/servlets/TestServlet

Useful utility:
        /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start -- Starts the server
        /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop -- Stops the server

Here is information from a previous posting on how to run
JServ manually:

First, set ApJServManual On in httpd.conf and restart Apache.

Then, run jserv with this shell script:
--
#!/bin/sh

HERE=/home/damian/jserv
cd $HERE

CLASSPATH=".:/usr/local/java/lib/classes.zip:/home/damian/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar:/home/damian/jserv/jserv.jar"

/usr/local/java/bin/java -classpath $CLASSPATH org.apache.jserv.JServ
$HERE/conf/jserv.properties
--

Make sure that the classpath and path to the jvm set above is the same
as you are setting up in your jserv.properties file.

I am a newbie as well, but maybe we can all solve this stuff
together. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

        Neil.

 **We pay a 5% finders fee for job referrals that lead to a contract*