From: Brian Claus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 11:07 AM
To: 'Java Apache Users'
Subject: RE: JServ as web server

BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

There was a running discussion regarding this some months back.
Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly when.  If you dig through the
archives, you should be able to find it.

Be careful when you make comparisons however, as jrun is a 2 tier and jserv
is a 3 tier solution.  In general (though certainly not always) 3 tier
solutions are slower then 2 tier solutions.  However, the distinct advantage
is that with a 3 tier solution, you get better scalibility.

JServ scalability and its ability to balance load between multiple
boxes/machines/processes is one of the primary reasons we use it.  We
currently have one successful implementation in production and will have
others in the near to mid-future, as we complete them for clients.

In particular, for one client, who was bent on jrun switched to jserv
because it allowed them to scale to the type of traffic they were after,
with a significantly lower cost.

Brian Claus
Senior Software Consultant
Corelan Communications.