BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

hi, thank you, kamesh,

with your advice i went back to my zones= directive in my
jserv.properties file and commented out the "webmail.properties="
line and rewrote the "zones=" line from

zones=root,webmail

zones=root

this effectively isolated out webmail temporarily, and then when
i restarted, everything worked fine.

well, i figured out that it was an installation of webmail
(http://jwebmail.sourceforge.net/) via the current rpm
(webmail-0.7.4-1) which had broken everything. when i
investigating further, i discovered that the reason the webmail
servlet rpm blew everything up was that it had been packaged
incorrectly: its "/etc/httpd/conf/jserv/webmail.properties" file
was still erroneouslypointing all its
repositories to an older directory (/usr/lib/webmail-0.7.3/*)
tree, when the newer rpm was putting everything in
/usr/lib/webmail-0.7.4! (Same for the "servlet.webmail.initArgs="
directive at the end of that file) So JServ was bombing out
trying to load classes it could not find.

So then I went back in again and put the webmail references BACK
into the jserv.properties file, but this time, i replaced all
occurences of "0.7.3" in the webmail.properties file with
"0.7.4", and now JServ does not bomb out trying to load classes
it cannot find.

So your advice did help, by pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you, Kamesh

Jeff Stern