BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Hi,

I'm writing to you since you since I have the same problem that you have
described... about SetHandler. I got the following error when I tried to
srart apache:

./apachectl start
Syntax error on line 132 of /usr/local/apache/conf/jserv/jserv.conf:
Invalid command 'SetHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I'd greatly appriciate any help/suggestions.

With regards,
Harsha

Here is what I did in the install process:
Downloaded apache1.3.12.tar.gz
Followed instruction available here:
http://java.apache.org/jserv/install/howto.unix_install.html

1. Configure Apache First - IMPORTANT
=====================================

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-shared=max
make
make install

Output:
~~~~~~~

| You now have successfully built and installed the      |
| Apache 1.3 HTTP server. To verify that Apache actually |
| works correctly you now should first check the         |
| (initially created or preserved) configuration files   |
|   /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
| and then you should be able to immediately fire up     |
| Apache the first time by running:                      |
|   /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
| Thanks for using Apache.       The Apache Group        |
|                                http://www.apache.org/  |

2. Configure Apache JServ
=========================

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/jserv --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
 --enable-debugging --with-JSDK=/usr/java/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar --enable-EAPI
 --with-jdk-home=/usr/java/jdk1.3 --with-java-platform=2 --enable-module=so

The output after configure is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apache JServ configuration complete...

Apache Installed Directory: /usr/local/apache

Module Type: dynamic (DSO will be used to link mod_jserv into server
dynamically)

Apache include flags:
  -I/usr/local/apache/include

Default configuration files will be installed in:
  /usr/local/apache/conf/jserv

Default log files will be created in:
  /usr/local/apache/logs

Default servlets will be installed in:
  /usr/local/apache/servlets

ApacheJServ.jar file will be installed in:
  /usr/local/apache/libexec/ApacheJServ.jar

Documentation will be installed in:
  /usr/local/jserv/docs

Build classpath is:

/virtuals/packages/ApacheJServ-1.1.2/src/java:/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib/rt.ja
r:/usr/java/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar

You might consider putting frequently used options into
./configure-options, one per line.

+-STEP 1-------------------------------------------------------+
|Run 'make; make install' to make a .jar file, compile the C   |
|code and copy the appropriate files to the appropriate        |
|locations.                                                    |

+-STEP 2-------------------------------------------------------+
|Put this line somewhere in Apache's httpd.conf file:          |
|Include /usr/local/apache/conf/jserv/jserv.conf
|                                                              |
|Then start Apache and try visiting the URL:                   |
|http://harshaserver:SERVER_PORT/servlets/Hello
|                                                              |
|If that works then you have successfully setup Apache JServ.  |
|                                                              |
|If that does not work then you should read the                |
|troubleshooting notes referenced below.                       |

+-Troubleshooting----------------------------------------------+
|Html documentation is available in the docs directory.        |
|                                                              |
|Common Errors:                                                |
|    Make sure that the log files can be written to by the     |
|    user your httpd is running as (ie: nobody). If there are  |
|    errors in your configuration, they will be logged there.  |
|                                                              |
|Frequently asked questions are answered in the FAQ-O-Matic:   |
|           http://java.apache.org/faq/                        |

According to Step-1:
Executed make; make install

According to Step-2:
Add this line in httpd.conf file...
Include /usr/local/apache/conf/jserv/jserv.conf
I started apache thus:
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
When I executed this I git this error: