I'll do some cleanup and documentation and then post this to the list for review RSN.

As an aside, is there any work going on to potentially support prefix (and infix) wild card queries ala "*fish"?

Wolfgang.

On Apr 20, 2005, at 6:10 AM, Vanlerberghe, Luc wrote:

One reason to choose the 'simplistic IndexReader' approach to this
problem over regex's is that the result should be 'bug-compatible' with
a standard search over all documents.

Differences between the two systems would be difficult to explain to an
end-user (let alone for the developer to debug and find the reason in
the first place!)

Luc

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 2:09 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Performance] Streaming main memory indexing of single
strings

On Apr 15, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
Cool! For my use case it would need to be able to handle arbitrary
queries (previously parsed from a general lucene query string).
Something like:

        float match(String Text, Query query)

it's fine with me if it also works for

        float[] match(String[] texts, Query query) or
        float(Document doc, Query query)

but that isn't required by the use case.

My implementation is nearly that. The score is available as
hits.score(0). You would also need an analyzer, I presume, passed to
your proposed match() method if you want the text broken into terms.
My current implementation is passed a String[] where each item is
considered a term for the document. match() would also need a field
name to be fully accurate - since the analyzer needs a field name and
terms used for searching need a field name. The Query may contain terms
for any number of fields - how should that be handled? Should only a
single field name be passed in and any terms request for other fields be
ignored? Or should this utility morph to assume any words in the text
is in any field being asked of it?

As for Doug's devil advocate questions - I really don't know what I'd
use it for personally (other than the "match this single string against
a bunch of queries"), I just thought it was clever that it could be
done. Clever regex's could come close, but it'd be a lot more effort
than reusing good ol' QueryParser and this simplistic IndexReader, along
with an Analyzer.

        Erik

Wolfgang.

I am intrigued by this and decided to mock a quick and dirty example
of such an IndexReader.  After a little trial-and-error I got it
working at least for TermQuery and WildcardQuery.  I've pasted my
code below as an example, but there is much room for improvement,
especially in terms of performance and also in keeping track of term
frequency, and also it would be nicer if it handled the analysis
internally.

I think something like this would make a handy addition to our
contrib area at least.  I'd be happy to receive improvements to this
and then add it to a contrib subproject.

Perhaps this would be a handy way to handle situations where users
have queries saved in a system and need to be alerted whenever a new
document arrives matching the saved queries?

        Erik