Hi Daniel,

i just had a look at the new implementation that FSDirectory deletes lucene related files only. I like the patch, but i think we left some room for optimization. In the current implementation, it's necessary to run thru all known Lucene extensions (13 for the moment), for each call of "LuceneFileFilter.accept()". If creating an index in a directory which contains several hundred files, this definitly will be a bottleneck. So creating a new Index in a directory containing 100 files, we will endup with 1300 calls to "if (name.endsWith("."+IndexReader.FILENAME_EXTENSIONS[i]))" which always needs to create a new StringBuffer to merge the two strings.

Therefore i would like to propose two changes:
1) we should store the extension in a hash and not in String[] to have a faster lookup
2) check for the file extension only without using the "."

any thoughts

Bernhard