Hi,

a discussion in

might be of interest to you.

Did you think about storing the large pieces of documents
in a database to reduce the size of Lucene index?

I think there are good reasons to adding support for
storing fields in separate files:

1. One could define a binary field of fixed length and store it
in a separate file. Then load it into memory and have fast
access for field contents.

A use case might be: store calendar date (YYYY-MM-DD)
in three bytes, 4 bits for months, 5 bits for days and up to
15 bits for years. If you want to retrieve hits sorted by date
you can load the fields file of size  (3 * documents in index) bytes
and support sorting by date without accessing hard drive
for reading dates.

2.  One could store document contents in a separate
file and fields of small size like title and some metadata
in the way it is stored now. It could speed up access to
fields. It would be interesting to know whether you gain
significant perfomance leaving the big chunks out, i.e.
not storing them in index.

In my opinion 1. is the most interesting case: storing some
binary fields (dates, prices, length, any numeric metrics of
documents) would enable *really* fast sorting of hits.

Any thoughts about this?

Regards,

Robert

We have a similiar problem