--- jian chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am wondering if interning Strings will be really
> that critical for
> performance. The biggest bottle neck is still disk.
> So, maybe we can use
> String.equals(...) instead of ==.

I would bet big bucks for it saving significant amount
of time, even with later JVMs. This based on XML
parser work, where canonical tokenization (using
String.intern() for names) saves lots of time both via
reduced GC activity, and due to ultra-fast lookups
(esp. when using HashMap etc), latter of which is due
to identity comparison being fast.

But, if anyone is really concerned about 'impurity' of
this optimization, the thing to do really is to do
extensive benchmarking and see what happens.
Theoretically it is also possible that the overhead of
String.intern() may count against using this approach
(it's a native method call, always), so there is a
chance that for some use cases, String.equals() might
be better choice. But I'd be against making this
change without benchmarking it well first to avoid
potential significant performance degradation.

-+ Tatu +-