Hi,

Not sure if people caught my question over on java-user@ about the possibility
of eliminating floating point calculations from Lucene's scoring.  Before I
embark on this, I thought I'd ask:

- Am I crazy?  Is this at all doable?
- Is this doable without forking and maintaining my own patches?
- Other than looking through the code, is there anything that would help me
learn how various scoring pieces relate to one another?

One of the reasons I am looking at this is because I often need just yes/no
(matches/doesn't match) answers, and don't care for the score.
The other reason is that I've been told Sun's Niagara machines have a weak FPU,
so we are trying to squeeze more juice out of them by reducing the amount of
floating point math in scoring.

If there are better approaches than trying to change how Lucene scoring works,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Otis