I understand that. Thanks for all.
I will still use the original Lucene jar and will continue to dig Lucene.
Wish I would find something useful for all of you.
:)

On 5/10/06, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I think you could use a volatile primitive boolean to control whether or
not
: the index needs to be read, and also mark the index data volatile and it
: SHOULD PROBABLY work.
:
: But as stated, I don't think the performance difference is worth it.

My understanding is:
  1) volatile will only help as of java 1.5 ... lucene targets 1.4
     compatibility.
  2) in 1.5, volatile is basically just as expensive as synchronized.

: I met these problem before indeed.The compiler did something optimized
for
: me that was bad for me when I see the byte-codes.
:  When I'm using a function local variable, m_indexTerms and in JDK1.5.06,
it
: seems ok.
: Whether it will break in other environments, I still don't know about
it.

The dangerous thing is that even if the byte code looks okay, and if it
works okay today, your app could run for a while and then all of the
sudden it could stop working because of the order the threads are run, or
becuase of an optimization the JVM applies on the fly.

-Hoss