I disagree with that a bit. I have found that certain languages lend
themselves far better to certain file formats (that is, if an operation is
very efficient to perform in a particular language, using a file format that
allows the usage of that operation directly will often lead to much better
performance). This is often true with byte ordering on particular hardware
platforms. That is the whole reason this is an issue. Others can read the
modified UTF, it is just not as efficient for them !

But more importantly, I don't think Lucene (or others) should be "held back"
attempting to adhere to a standardized file format.

Take databases for example. Many available. All use different file formats,
but all can be accessed with (pretty much) standardized SQL (using different
drivers).

I think Lucene could offer a similar approach at the API level, maybe an
embedded TCP/IP interface / command processor (similar to an HTTP server).

You are always going to have interoperability issues (sometimes even when
using Java, but rarely), so I say dump the burden on the others, and just
make Lucene the best Java search engine possible.

Without starting some sort of flame war, I can't think of any advantages to
not running a Java version of Lucene, but, that is just my opinion. It would
be fairly straight forward to convert all of Lucene to C, and provide a Java
binding, but why???