While you're at it, why not rewrite Luke in Perl as well...

Seems like a great use of your time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin Humphrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:36 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Cc: Andrzej Bialecki
Subject: Hacking Luke for bytecount-based strings

Greets,

There does not seem to be a lot of demand for one implementation of
Lucene to read indexes generated by another implementation of Lucene
for the purposes of indexing or searching.  However, there is a
demand for index browsing via Luke.

It occurred to me today that if Luke were powered by a version of
Lucene with my bytecount-based-strings patch applied, it would be
able to read indexes generated by Ferret.  Ironically, it wouldn't be
able to read KinoSearch indexes unless I reverted the change which
causes the term vectors to be stored in the .fdt file.  I'd probably
do that.  Luke is great.

One possibility for distributing such a beast is to offer a patched
jar for download from my website.  Before I start down that road,
though, I thought I'd bring up the subject here.

Thoughts?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/