One interesting thing to talk about is when you need to create a new Query
subclass, and how to do it.

For example, let's say you want something between a BooleanQuery and a
PhraseQuery, which matches documents with some of the query words in them
(like the normal BooleanQuery), but giving more score to documents which
contain these words near each other (there was a discussion about this idea
about a month ago, when we discussed short documents).

In that case, what do I need to do? I supposed I need to write a new Query
subclass, but what does doing this take? Do I need to write a "Scorer"? A
"Similarity"? Or what?

I think this is an interesting topic.

--
Nadav Har'El
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Grant Ingersoll
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       java-dev@lucene.apache.org
             15/06/2006 03:01                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Scoring
             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 pache.org

Karl,

This is a great start.  I have also started a scoring.xml document under
the xdocs directory (in my sandbox).  So far, I have the following
sections (some even have content under them!):
1. Introduction  // Intro about Vector Space Model, some references to
theory, links to the Similarity scoring Formula
2. Scoring and the Index   //How scoring relates to what is in the index
(i.e. how it takes advantage of precomputed info such as norms, etc.
3. Understanding Similarity  //How the Similarity class fits into
Scoring and what it means to override the Similarity (Greek Kung Fu!)
4. Changing Your Scoring -- Expert // A discussion of
overriding/creating Scorer/Query/Whatever else
5. Class Diagrams // Links to your cool pictures
6. Sequence Diagrams //More cool pictures

What else is needed/useful?  Anyone want to volunteer on a section?

-Grant

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/KarlWettin?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=search_uml_1.jpg

> <http://shorl.com/hynulymolijo>
>
> Feel free to let me know what I got wrong.

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer
Center for Natural Language Processing
Syracuse University