DM Smith wrote:
One of the things I liked about 2.0 was that 1.9 was a bridge to it from
1.4.3 via deprecations. It made migration fairly straightforward. I would
like to see this going forward to 2.1. If so there needs to be some thought
to how and whether the existing API will be deprecated in the same fashion
as Java 5 is introduced.

If 2.1 will break API compatibility then it should be called 3.0. Major release numbers are all about API compatibility. If code works with Lucene X.Y, then it should also compile against Lucene X.Y+1, but it may not work with Lucene X+1.Z.

The third digit in release numbers is for bugfix releases. In effect, X.Y.0 is a beta, or release candidate. We should never add new features or do anything but fix serious bugs in these releases.

JVM version is orthogonal to this, no?

Doug