On 10/10/06, Grant Ingersoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would be interested in another survey, this time about how many
people use a fixed set of Fields in their applications.  The large
majority of mine do.  I know SOLR supports dynamic fields, but I
wonder how much they are used.  If there truly is a benefit to it,
then perhaps we can have an implementation that can utilize them.

I'd be interested to see that too. I'm not sure how you would define
dynamic fields though. In Ferret fields have fixed properties once
they are added to an index. If create a stored field then you can't
decide not to store it at a later date. But you can add new fields to
the index whenever you like. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that.

I would like to hear more about your merge strategy and how you do
the hashing.  Perhaps if we all work through it then can figure out
some ways to incorporate it.  As for backwards compatibility, we have
a strategy for dealing with it that I think works (deprecation).
Furthermore, there is no reason we can't start working towards a new
framework for indexing/searching that is interface based and allows
for using the existing format or a newer format as Marvin, Doug and
others have suggested (in fact we have a first attempt at it as a
patch).

Some time early next year I should finally have time to get stuck into
the Lucy project. We will definitely be using more of an interface
based design then. I think Marvin's KinoSearch merge model will
probably translate better back into Lucene but we'll have to wait and
see.

As for benchmarks, in my experience, the people who get all touchy
are those who are so married to one way of doing things that they
can't think of any other way to solve a problem.  I think reasonable
people who want Lucene to be better will take the benchmarks as
lessons in how to improve Lucene, not as some personal attack on
them.

I wish more people were as reasonable as you are. I think most people
on the Lucene list are.

Once I get the basics of our benchmark stuff in place, it
would be interesting to implement the Ferret version and see how it
stacks up.  So far, we have been using http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/
cs.cmu.edu/project/theo-20/www/data/news20.tar.gz but I can see about
incorporating the Reuters collection in, as this is much more the
standard when it comes to these things

-Grant

When you do get your benchmark stuff in place, I'd be happy to port it
to Ruby/Ferret. Do you have anything currently available?

Dave