J.Zhu wrote:

If I would like to contribute, what should I do? I am not a good Java
developer myself though. Can I work with someone also interested?
In some of my group's usage of lucene over large document collections, we have split the documents across several machines. This has lead to a concern of whether the inverse document frequency was appropriate, since the score seems to be dependant on the partioning of documents over indexing hosts. We have not formulated an experiment to determine if it seriously effects our results, though it has been discussed.

If someone could elaborate how BM25 or some DFR algorithm would differ from what (TF/IDF) is implemented in lucene, I would be willing to help translate that into java as an indexing/searching option . . .

more,
l8r,

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
-- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie