Hi,

Poking around Query/Weight/Scorer classes I finally started understanding how
some portions of the scoring works (imagine a lot of lightbulbs now).  In one
of my Lucene use-cases I really just use it to pull N documents from an index,
and don't care for score (I sort by time).  That lead me to look at
MatchAllDocsQuery and ConstantScoreQuery.  I see they don't do anything with
IDF nor anything fancy with Similarity, and instead both queries return a score
equal to the query boost.  Still, why do they even bother with the
multiplications in sumOfSquaredWeights() and normalize(float) methods?

    public float sumOfSquaredWeights() {
      queryWeight = getBoost();
      return queryWeight * queryWeight;
    }

    public void normalize(float queryNorm) {
      this.queryNorm = queryNorm;
      queryWeight *= this.queryNorm;
    }

Shouldn't that queryWeight = getBoost() be enough to get the query boost and
use it as a score?
Obviously, not all lightbulbs are on yet...

Thanks,
Otis