Michael Busch wrote:
the other hand, if people would like to use the payloads soon I guess due to the backwards compatibility it would be low risk to add it to the current index format to provide this feature until we can finish the flexible format?

A reason not to commit something like this now would be if it complicates the effort to make the format extensible. Each index feature we add now will require back-compatibility in the future, and we should be hesitant to add features that might be difficult to support in the future.

For example, this modifies the Token API. If, long-term, we think that Token should be extensible, then perhaps we should make it extensible now, and add this through a subclass of Token (perhaps a mixin interface that Tokens can implement).

I like the Payload feature, and think it should probably be added. I just want to make sure that we've first thought a bit about its future-compatibility.

Doug