robert engels wrote on 01/15/2007 08:11 PM:
> If that is all you need, I think it is far simpler:
>
> If you have an OID, then al that is required is to a write to a
> separate disk file the operations (delete this OID, insert this
> document, etc...)
>
> Once the file is permanently on disk. Then it is simple to just keep
> playing the file back until it succeeds.
There is no guarantee a given operation will ever succeed so this
doesn't work.

> This is what we do in our search server.
>
> I am not completely familiar with parallel reader, but in reading the
> JavaDoc I don't see the benefit - since you have to write the
> documents to both indexes anyway??? Why is it of any benefit to break
> the document into multiple parts?
I'm sure Doug had reasons to write it.  My reason to use it is for fast
bulk updates, updating one subindex without having to update the others.

> If you have OIDs available, parallel reader can be accomplished in a
> far simpler and more efficient manner - we have a completely federated
> server implementation that was trivial - less < 100 lines of code. We
> did it simpler, and create a hash from the OID, and store the document
> into a different index depending on the has, then run the query across
> all indexes in parallel, joining the results.
Lucene has this built in via MultiSearcher and RemoteSearchable.  It is
a bit more complex due to the necessity to normalize Weights, e.g. to
ensure the same docFreq's which reflect the union of all indexes are
used for the search in each.

Federated searching addresses different requirements than
ParallelReader.  Yes, I agree that ParallelReader could be done using
UID's, but believe it would be a considerably more expensive
representation to search.  The method used in federated search to
distribute the same query to each index is not applicable.  Breaking the
query up into parts that are applied against each parallel index, with
each query part referencing only the fields in a single parallel index,
would be a challenge with complex nested queries supporting all of the
operators, and much less efficient than ParallelReader.  Modifying all
the primitive Query subclasses to use UID's instead of doc-ids's would
be an alternative, but would be a lot of work and not nearly as
efficient as the existing Lucene index representation that sorts
postings by doc-id.

To illustrate this, consider the simple query, f:a AND g:b, where f and
g are in two different parallel indexes.  Performing the f  and g
queries separately on the different indexes to get possibly very long
lists of results and then joining those by UID will be much slower than
BooleanQuery operating on ParallelReader with doc-id sorted postings.
The alternative of a UID-based BooleanQuery would have similar
challenges unless the postings were sorted by UID.  But hey, that's
permanent doc-ids.

Chuck