Michael McCandless wrote:
I agree extensions points are nice.  Maybe we could leave the
extension points ("doAfterFlushRamSegments", etc.) but merge
NewIndexModifier into IndexWriter?

Though I do worry that by adding these extension points we tie our
hands for later.

I think this is a valid concern. Can the extension points be kept package-private? It makes them awkward to use, since non-core code must add things in org.apache.lucene.index. But we shouldn't make something public that we don't intend to support long-term. Deprecation is for unforseen changes.

I also think it's now confusing to users which class (IndexModifier,
NewIndexModifier, IndexWriter) to use to write to an index.  I would
prefer a single IndexWriter class now because this is more closely
towards our eventual goal of "use IndexWriter to make changes; use
IndexReader to search/read".

+1, with qualifications. A single IndexWriter would be ideal, so long as it doesn't have public methods that cannot be supported long-term (see above), and it doesn't impact non-deleting uses (which Hoss assures us it won't).

Doug