: Lucene is not a word processor. It is a development library. I think
: an understanding of any development library is essential to using it
: properly. Once you have even a basic understanding of the Lucene
: design, it is very clear as to why deletes are performed using the
: IndexReader.

Understanding why IndexReader does deletes is a good idea, but it doesn't
make it any less useful to have a simple efficient mechanism for mixing
deletes and adds -- no matter how well you may understand the theory,
doesn't mean you want to have to reimpliment efficient
IndexWriter/IndexReader handling for mixing adds and deletes in every app
you write until the end of time -- but writing a reusable API to do this
at a "high level" results in an ineffeciant API, so we need some changes
at the lowever level to facilitate making complex tasks more efficient.

-Hoss