On 2/16/07, Sami Siren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
2007/2/15, Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> My first impression of maven:
>   Pretty websites as part of the build system - cool!  And it's
> *great* for starting
> a new project... unit tests automatically run, website is built,
> automatic packaging, jar/war build, everything you need!
> But, it all seems like magic to me... if I want to do something different,
> even a minor little change, I don't know where to start.  If I want to add
> an
> additional compile flag, where does that go??? I have no idea.  To change
> the
> behavior (like using Java5 source) I need to google and find the magic
> incantation.

Are you saying that the first time you tried ant everything was immediately
clear to you - no need to vistit ant.apache.org ?

I didn't start with my own ant file, but had to modify an existing one.
But, things mapped pretty close from "make"... there were targets and
dependencies,
and the targets had tasks in them.  It was easy for me to figure out
how to create some new targets to do some extra stuff.

I did have to google for "what's the name of the task to do x", or
"what parameters does task x accept".  That's a bit different from my
first-time experience with maven, which appears more declarative than
procedural, and at a much higher level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not against maven... just pointing
out that in a nutshell to me, it looked like you got a lot more out of
the box, but the learning curve was steeper (conversely many simple
projects may need to learn less with mvn because it does so much for
them by default.)

-Yonik