Chris Hostetter wrote:
: since we have different sets of committers for different sub-projects,
: it probably makes more sense to have per-subproject KEYS files.  That
: way folks can add their own keys without altering our current permission
: scheme.

yeah, it would certianly be a "paradigm shift" ... i suggested it only
because there already is a PMC level KEYS file (for no clear reason that i
know of)

I'd vote for removing that top-level one, since it only confuses things.

(a second reason is that there *may* be some people who would have more
faith in a centralized KEYS file for all Lucene projects then for
sub-project specific - i have no idea how people who worry about
signed releases feel about that)

Browsing http://www.apache.org/dist/, there are a variety of styles. Many projects have no top-level KEYS file. The common rule seems to be that a KEYS file applies to its containing directory and all subdirectories of that directory, although the automatic verification code does not require that, considering all KEYS files.

http://people.apache.org/~henkp/checker/sig.html

Doug