> > The downside is another complexity increase though.

I think complexity can be divided in two:
(1) more complex synchronization and data-manipulation/accounting
(2) multi-threading.

The multi-threading becoming part of and responsibility of Lucne
seems quite a change to me. Lucene's being single threaded is a
simplifying factor, an advantage to my opinion.

So how about, alternatively, (perhaps optionally, probably in a
subclass) just reducing the synchronization level of IndexWriter,
so one could call addDocument, deleteDocument, optimize() etc.
in more than one thread, in parallel.

The critical sections would be similar to the proposal below, and
delicate synchronization details need to be looked after. It is
in fact possible that synchronization wise this is more challenging
then the proposal when Lucene launches the threads, because there
can be more than two threads.

But this way Lucene itself remains single threaded. It is the
application decision/responsibility to launch and manage these
threads.

Just a thought.