"Ning Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Michael McCandless (JIRA) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ahhh, this is a very good point.  OK I won't deprecate "flushing by
> > doc count" and instead will allow either "flush by RAM usage" (default
> > to this?) or "flush by doc count".
>
> Just want to clarify: It's either "flush and merge by byte size" or
> "flush and merge by doc count", right?

Good point, to keep the doc IDs identical, the merge policy must also be
identical.  But I think we should still default to "flush by RAM usage"
and "merge by segment size"?  And then developers who rely on doc IDs to
follow a specific controlled pattern (eg for ParallelReader) would set
the writer to flush by doc count and then set it to the "by doc count"
merge policy.

Mike