No, you are not the only one... Many a sleepless night spent on it... :-)

I usually try to refer to it as Lucene Java, but old habits die hard and often times I just call it Lucene. I think the name has a good brand at this point and is very strongly associated w/ the Java library. I seem to recall when they were forming the TLP, that the original proposal was search.a.o, but then changed b/c the ASF didn't like generic names (or at least that is how I recall it.) And, of course, with Hadoop and the potential for Tika/Lius, it isn't just search anymore. I have often thought about an Apache "Text" project, that could eventually hold a whole family of text based tools like Lucene, Tika, Hadoop, Solr, etc. plus things like part of speech taggers, clustering/classification algorithms, UIMA, etc. all under one roof. But that is just my two cents and I don't know if it fits with what other people have in mind. There are a lot of OSS tools out there for these things, but none bring together a whole suite under a brand like Apache.

-Grant