Having the merge policy own segmentInfos sounds kind of hard to me.
Among other things, there's a lot of code in IndexWriter for managing
segmentInfos with regards to transactions. I'm pretty wary of touching
that code. Is there a way around that?

But conceptually, do you agree it's a good idea for MergePolicy to own
segmentInfos?

I know the code for managing segmentInfos w.r.t transactions is hard.
I had to modify it when coding deleteDocuments for IndexWriter. I
wonder, since exceptions are the rare case, can we simply restore
segmentInfos from the last valid segments file? Hopefully it's simple
thus easy to maintain as well. Opinions?

Ning