On Mon, Jun 25, 2007, Grant Ingersoll wrote about "Re: search quality -
assessment & improvements":
> 1. Create our own judgements on Wikipedia or the Reuters collection.
> This is no doubt hard and would require a fair number of volunteers
> and could/would compete at some level with TREC.  One advantage is

Another approach is to use Term Relevance Sets, described in [1].
This new approach not only requires less manual labor than TREC's approach,
but also works better when the corpus is evolving.

[1] "Scaling IR-System Evaluation using Term Relevance Sets", Einat Amitay,
David Carmel, Ronny Lempel and Aya Soffer, SIGIR 2004,
http://einat.webir.org/SIGIR_2004_Trels_p10-amitay.pdf

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Jun 26 2007, 10 Tammuz 5767
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |Abolition of Abbreviations and Acronyms