Interesting question... I guess we haven't had one contrib depend on another yet, or at least, I haven't checked to see if we have.

I would presume that the benchmark contrib becomes a dependency of the library that wants to use it (i.e. Highlighter), but it is slightly different in that you may want it to be more akin to a test library than a package library. That is, people using the highlighter should not need the benchmark contrib package, but people developing the highlighter package would need it. Thus, you will need to make sure it gets built first.

You could just put your Tasks under test, as you are using them to test/gauge performance. I don't think it is required that test only holds JUnits.

Cheers,
Grant