You can implement a FilterIndexReader that returns only a subset of an index. Then use IndexWriter#addIndexes() to add this to a new, empty index. Do this for each range of terms.

This is somewhat similar to Nutch's IndexSorter:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/nutch/trunk/src/java/org/apache/nutch/indexer/IndexSorter.java?view=markup

Note that IndexWriter#addIndexes() doesn't require that all IndexReader methods be implemented.

Doug

Daniel Creão wrote:
I'd wanna split my lucene index in smaller segments, each one holding all
terms starting with the same char.

I started writing Term's and TermInfo's but i'm worried about others files
and especially the pointers.

What care should I have while splitting index?

- Daniel