Chris Hostetter wrote:
> is it just me, or does it seem like the base class versions of
> getVersion(), isOptimized(), and isCurrent() in IndexReader should all
> throw UnsupportedOperationException?
>
> (it seems like ideally they should abstract, but that ship/API has sailed)

Hoss,

I think this makes sense because all these methods use the variable
IndexReader.segmentInfos which might be null in case this constructor is
used:
 protected IndexReader(Directory directory);

We just have to make segmentInfos in IndexReader protected so that
subclasses can implement the methods.

- Michael