ok, glad we're on the same page.

I did some performance testing with span queries and, unfortunately,  the
results are discouraging for my intended use. When I added a simple
SpanNearQuery to existing queries, the throughput decreased by a factor of
10+. I figured spans would be expensive, but not that much. I haven't done
profiling yet, but here's a typical thread stack during execution:

at org.apache.lucene.util.PriorityQueue.downHeap(PriorityQueue.java:137)
at org.apache.lucene.util.PriorityQueue.adjustTop(PriorityQueue.java:101)
at org.apache.lucene.search.spans.NearSpansUnordered.next(
NearSpansUnordered.java:128)
at org.apache.lucene.search.spans.SpanScorer.setFreqCurrentDoc(
SpanScorer.java:83)
at org.apache.lucene.search.spans.SpanScorer.next(SpanScorer.java:57)
at org.apache.lucene.search.ConjunctionScorer.next(ConjunctionScorer.java
:56)
at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanScorer2.score(BooleanScorer2.java:327)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:146)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:118)

Peter