OK, I think I found one possibility here.  With ant's junit task, you
can define a custom formatter implementing this interface:

  org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitResultFormatter

That interface has a method endTestSuite that is invoked once at the
end of all the test cases.  So I can define a customer formatter, and
in this method, I can check with ConcurrentMergeScheduler and if any
unhandled exceptions has occurred, I can throw an exception and the
suite/testcase is marked as failed.  It seems to work.

This is a nice solution in that we don't have to modify every unit
test to do its own checking.  However, it's not really a "normal" use
case because formatters are supposed to just "format" the test result
output.  It also adds a dependence from Lucene's unit test sources to
ant.  But at least it does work ("progress not perfection").

And objections to this approach?  Is there a better approach?

Mike