I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1067 to track the issue.

On Nov 27, 2007, at 6:10 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

OK I just ran the test 5 times, also on quad Mac Pro, and got the error to occur as well!

Ugh.

I will track it down.

Mike

"Grant Ingersoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OK, I have seen this twice in the last two days:
Testsuite: org.apache.lucene.index.TestStressIndexing
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 18.58
sec
    [junit]
    [junit] ------------- Standard Output ---------------
    [junit] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.store.RAMInputStream.readByte(RAMInputStream.java: 67)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readInt(IndexInput.java:66)
    [junit]     at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos
$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:544)
    [junit]     at
org
.apache
.lucene.index.DirectoryIndexReader.open(DirectoryIndexReader.java:63)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:209)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:192)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:56)
    [junit]     at org.apache.lucene.index.TestStressIndexing
$SearcherThread.doWork(TestStressIndexing.java:111)
    [junit]     at org.apache.lucene.index.TestStressIndexing
$TimedThread.run(TestStressIndexing.java:55)
    [junit] ------------- ---------------- ---------------
    [junit] Testcase:
testStressIndexAndSearching
(org.apache.lucene.index.TestStressIndexing):  FAILED
    [junit] hit unexpected exception in search1
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: hit unexpected
exception in search1
    [junit]     at
org
.apache
.lucene .index.TestStressIndexing.runStressTest(TestStressIndexing.java:
159)
    [junit]     at
org
.apache
.lucene
.TestStressIndexing
.testStressIndexAndSearching(TestStressIndexing.java:187)
    [junit]
    [junit]
    [junit] Test org.apache.lucene.index.TestStressIndexing FAILED

Subsequent runs have, however passed.  Has anyone else hit this on
trunk?

I am running using "ant clean test"

I'm on a Mac Pro 4 core, 4GB machine, if that helps at all.  Not sure
how to reproduce at this point, but strikes me as a threading issue.
Oh joy!

I'll try to investigate more tomorrow to see if I can dream up a test
case.

-Grant

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com