Hi robert,

On 01/23/2008 at 4:55 PM, robert engels wrote:
> If the users are "just dropping in a new version" they are not
> contributing to the community... I think just the opposite, they are
> parasites.

I reject your characterization of passive users as "parasites"; I suspect that
you intend your casual use of this highly prejudicial term to license wholesale
abandonment of them as a valid constituency.

In my estimation, nearly every active contributor to open source projects,
including Lucene, was once a passive user.  If you discourage that pipeline,
you cut off the supply of fresh perspectives and future contributions.  Please,
let's not do that.

Steve