: I'm fine with the plan as far as I understand it, but can you clarify
: something for me?
:
: While 3.0 won't be backward compatible in that it requires Java 5.0, will it
: be otherwise backward compatible? That is, if I compile with 2.9, eliminate
: all deprecations and use Java 5, can I drop 3.0 in and expect it to work
: without any further changes?

I think that point is still up in the air, and will depend largely on what
type of APIs start shapping up for 3.0.  I suspect that when the time
comes, 2.9 may contain deprecations that refer forward to APIs that will
be availbale in 3.0, but won't exist in 2.9 ... so true drop in
compatibility may not be possible.

Then again: the main reason i suspect that is that i'm anticipating APIs
that use generics.  i know that some weird things happen with generics and
bytecode, so it may actually be possible to intruduce non generic
(non-typesafe) versions of those APIs in 2.9 that people can compile
against that will be bytecode compatible with 3.0 -- i'm not sure.

(similar questions may come up with enum's and other misc langauge
features however)

-Hoss