Hi,

this is most likely a question for Mike. I'm trying to figure out what changes we need to make in order to support flexible indexing and LUCENE-1231. Currently I'm looking into the DocumentsWriter.

If we want to support different posting lists, then we probably want to change the Posting class to be an abstract base class and have different subclasses that implement the different posting formats. The DocumentsWriter does pooling of the Posting instances and I'm wondering how much this improves performance. It will be a bit harder to do pooling with different Posting implementations. Probably we would need a Map<Class, PostingPool> with one entry for each Posting subclass used? I wonder if that's worth it, because I was thinking that pooling of small objects in modern JVMs is not really more efficient anymore?

-Michael