Mike, yeah, I just got the test to fail a few more times and then pass once.  I
*think* the expected vs. was output was slightly different in different failed
runs, so it might be that random bit that's the culprit

java.nio.charset.Charset.defaultCharset().name() gives me "UTF-8" on my JVM:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

Otis